340,631,000 people, including:
- City - 328,679;
- Rural - 11,952.
In Ust-Kamenogorsk city there are the following institutions of education, financed from the city budget:
- General education schools - 45,
- Preschool institutions of education - 26,
- Correctional schools-kindergartens - 4,
- Institutions of additional education - 14,
There are 35 cultural institutions in Ust-Kamenogorsk city, including: 1 theatre, 1 philharmonic society, 1 Friendship House, 3 museums, 1 republican library, 3 regional libraries, 13 city libraries, 1 Metallurgists’ Culture Palace, 1 Central House of Culture “Ulba”, 1 Culture Centre of “Titanium and Magnesium Plant” JSC, 5 clubs, “Metallurgist” recreation park, 2 cinemas “Yubileiny” and “Echo”, the Left-bank part of the Irtysh River, 1 zoo. Also, Ust-Kamenogorsk city has 4 parks: 1 Metallurgist park, 1 Kirov Park, 1 Zhambyl Park and 1 Ethnopark.
Medical care in the territory of Ust-Kamenogorsk city is provided in 3 state hospitals, 5 private hospital organizations, 40 outpatient polyclinic organizations (private+state), 26 out-patient departments, 11 dental clinics, 3- family outpatient clinics (FOC), 3- outpatient and obstetric units, 3 medical centres.
The network of retail facilities, catering companies and services is developed in Ust-Kamenogorsk city. In the territory of Ust-Kamenogorsk city there are 20 markets, with 2600 retail spaces.
Ust-Kamenogorsk city has a diversified industrial complex comprising key economic branches (metallurgic industry - 81,4 % of the city output, generation and distribution of electric power, heat, gas and water - 6,2 %, mechanical engineering - 3,7 %).
The industrial output in 2017 accounted for KZT 540,6 billion that up by 60 % (in fixed prices) compared to the same period in 2016. Index of actual volume - 97,9 %.
The enterprises of the regional centre are the only manufacturers in the Republic of zinc, titanium, magnesium, they account for over 60 % of the republican production of the refined lead and affined gold, over 20 % of affined silver. The basic enterprises of the branch: “Ulba metallurgical plant” JSC, “Kazzinc” Ltd, “Ust-Kamenogorsk Titanium and Magnesium Plant” JSC.
The machine-building complex comprises “Vostokmashzavod” JSC, “Asia-Auto” JSC, “Ust-Kamenogorsk reinforcing plant” JSC, “Ust-Kamenogorsk capacitor plant” JSC. They produce ore mining and mineral processing equipment, oil- and gas fittings, cars, condensers, etc.
The chemical industry is presented by enterprises of “Ulbaftorcomplex” Ltd, “Kazzinctech” Ltd, “Orika-Kazakhstan” CJSC, producing fluohydric acid, sulphuric acid, emulsion explosives using innovative technologies.
Producers of electrical and heat energy are “AES Ust-Kamenogorsk HES” JSC, “AES Ust-Kamenogorsk TPP” JSC, “AES Sogra TPP” JSC.
18 branches of industry, including:
- Agriculture, forestry and fishery - 0,25 %,
- Industry - 30,5 %,
- Construction - 7,7 %,
- Wholesale and retail trade; repair of cars and motorcycles - 7,6 %,
- Transport and warehousing - 4,5 %,
- Storage facilities and support transport activity - 2,8 %,
- Post and courier activity - 0,5 %,
- Services in accommodation and dining - 1,5 %,
- Information and communication - 3,5 %,
- Financial and insurance activity - 3,3 %,
- Transactions with real estate - 0,7 %,
- Professional, scientific and technical activity - 2,8 %,
- Activity in administrative and support services - 2,9 %,
- Public administration and defense; compulsory social security - 14,7 %,
- Education - 12,4 %, health care services and social services - 8,8 %,
- Art, entertainment and rest - 1,3 %,
- Other services - 1,2 %.
- The lands of agricultural purposes - 23335 hectares;
- The lands of settlements - 20284 hectares;
- The lands the industries - 4259 hectares;
- The lands of especially safeguarded natural territories - 2 hectares;
- The lands of the water fund - 177 hectares;
- The lands of the stock - 6258 hectares.
9,146 persons applied for job assistance, 7,152 persons were assisted with employability measures in January-December, 2017.
As of 1 January, 2018 the number of unemployed people of the fixed labour market made up 1,630 persons that rose by 994 persons compared to the same period of the last year.
5,894 jobs were created in 2017 comparing with the plan of 4,965 jobs.
450 persons were sent to youth practice (125 % of the plan), 282 persons (188 %) were sent to social jobs, 487 persons (127 %) were sent to public works, 1,362 persons (106 %) were sent to retraining, 226 persons with technical and vocational education were sent to personnel training.
For the accounting period 369 persons were rehabilitated in the center of social adaptation of persons without a fixed place of residence, including: 167 - identification cards were recovered, 49 - were placed in constant or temporary jobs, 7 – registered disability.
In Ust-Kamenogorsk city there are 4 institutions of higher education: D.Serikbayev East Kazakhstan State Technical University, S.Amanzholov East Kazakhstan State University, Kazakhstan-American Free University, Ust-Kamenogorsk branch of G.V.Plehanov Russian Economic University.
At the same time, there are 25 educational institutions of technical and professional education system in the city.
The current state of realization of investment projects
Now the State Program of Innovative Industrial Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2015-2019 and the Uniform Program of Business Support and Development “Business Road Map 2020” are under realization.
The program “Business Road Map 2020” pursues subsidizing of interest rates on loans to businessmen, and also provides guarantees to the banks for lending.
Opportunities for location of new productions: in the city there are 2 land lots (sites) for industrial zones, but still they haven’t been provided with all necessary infrastructures:
1. «Orken-KShT», Samara highway with total area of 33,5 hectares; technical and economic feasibility for construction of the highway is prepared, reviewed by the state expertise and directed in order to get the economic expertise. The feasibility study is underway to provide it with additional infrastructure.
2. In Armaturny area on Mashinostroitelei street with total area of 26,6 hectares. The works requiring reconstruction of the engineering infrastructure need to be completed at this site.
Projects of the social infrastructure requiring funding:
1) Heat supply development plan of Ust-Kamenogorsk city is being drawn up which includes preparation of technical and economic feasibility and construction of Left-Bank TPP. The heat supply development plan will provide deficiency payments of heating in the volume of 400 Gcal/hour and improvement of ecological conditions due to closing of small boiler-houses in the remote areas of the city (Ablaketka, Airport, Menovnoe) and equitable distribution of loading of the basic heating mains. Approximately, 300 billion tenge is required for implementation of the project on development of the feasibility study and construction of the Left-Bank TPP.
2) Construction of the Youth Palace in 19-th residential area.
3) Construction and operation of a shelter for roaming animals in the city.
4) The long waiting list for housing from the state available housing (over 9 thousand persons).
5) Resettlement of residents from the sanitary protection zone (3,8 thousand persons);
6) Emergency state of bridges, insufficiency of road interchanges, need to develop the street and road network meeting the city master plan. It is necessary:
- 329 million tenge of funding is required for 2017 to complete reconstruction of the bridge across the Irtysh River in Kazakhstan St.;
- 546 million tenge of funding is required for reconstruction of the automobile bridge across the Ulba River in area of the Sports Palace;
- 30 600 million tenge of funding is required for designing and construction of the bridge crossing in Vinogradov St., with direct access to the main road «Ust-Kamenogorsk - Tavriya - Semey»;
- 740 million tenge of funding is required for reconstruction of a road interchange «Satpayev Avenue - ZhibekZholy St.- Esenberlin Avenue”;
- 2 561 million tenge of funding is required for reconstruction of K.Satpayev Avenue from ZhibekZholy St., up to K.Marx Avenue;
- 1 100 million tenge of funding is required for construction of K.Satpayev Avenue from K.Marx Avenue up to “Yuzhny” highway;
- 1 284 million tenge of funding is required for reconstruction of highway from the bridge across the Irtysh River in area of the Lopatino island up to Ahmirovo village;
- 451 million tenge of funding is required for reconstruction of E.P.Slavski Embankment from Auezov Avenue up to the Memorial of Glory;
- 1 200 million tenge of funding is required for reconstruction of Astana St., from the Ulba bridge up to Potanin St.
Designing and construction of “New-Ust-Kamenogorsk water intake” is required because of the lack of water sources and in order to provide the population with qualitative potable water. A need for funding - 2000 million tenge.
Construction of hotel complexes and concomitant objects of infrastructure is required for creation of the tourist cluster and development of incoming and domestic tourism.
Need for labour resources
The monthly need in labor on the market of Ust-Kamenogorsk city makes up 1200 persons. The greatest number of vacancies is in trading and services, housing and communal services, health care.
17 tourist objects are available in Ust-Kamenogorsk city, which are of great interest, both for residents, and for visitors:
- Historical and cultural objects - 4 (Metallurgists Culture House, East Kazakhstan Regional Drama Theatre, Echo Cinema, East Kazakhstan Regional Friendship House);
- Ethnographic objects - 4 (East Kazakhstan Regional Architecture-Ethnographic and Natural Landscape Museum-Reserve; Left-bank part; Zhastar park; Jambul park);
- Social and cultural facilities - 9 (Ulba culture center; “Metallurg” park; Yubileiny cinema; the Observation Platform with the state symbols of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the top of the mountain of Ablaketka village; “Alley of Lovers”; East Kazakhstan History and Regional Study Museum; East Kazakhstan regional museum of arts; Central Mosque of Ust-Kamenogorsk city, Kabanbai Batyr monument, Fountain on the Central Square of the city.